Trick or Treat (#285)
Dear Trick or Treater:
I hope you enjoy this little treat. No tricks, OK?
When you came to my house tonight, I put one of these little leaflets in your bag with a treat. If you read and understand this, you will find a Treat that will last forever.
But there is someone who wants to trick you. He’s called the devil and he is doing all he can to ruin the world. Sometimes he seems to be winning. You can tell when you watch the news—you can see where he has been and whom he has fooled. He is a really good liar. Here are some of his most popular lies:
1. The devil wants you to think following Jesus is stupid. “You’ll have no fun doing that,” he says. But Jesus says in John 10:10 in the Bible that He came so that you could have a life that is full.
2. The devil says: Wait until you are an adult before you make up your mind about following Jesus. The Bible says that Jesus wants children to come to Him, and to come right away because today is the day of salvation. (Luke 18:16 & 2 Corinthians 6:2)
3. The devil says: Make up your own rules. The Bible says that how you live really matters to God. If you live only for yourself you are headed for big trouble. But if you live to please God, He gives you eternal life. (Galatians 6:7, 8)
4. The devil says: This life is all there is. Get all you can before you die. The Bible says that God loves you so much he offers you life that will never end if you will accept what Jesus did for you. (John 3:16)
5. The devil says: You don’t have a chance. I’m stronger and smarter than you and I can get you to do anything I want. You’re helpless. The Bible says that God will never leave you to fight the devil on your own. (1 John 2:14)
The devil hates you and will use even your friends to trick you. But Jesus loves you more than you can imagine. He loves you so much He came to earth from His home in heaven to take the punishment for your sins. The Bible says that all who believe in Him are saved from the devil and given eternal life. In the whole world, there is no Treat bigger than God’s love.
You can win against the devil by inviting Jesus into your heart. You can invite Jesus into your heart right now by praying this prayer: Jesus, I know I do wrong things sometimes. Please forgive me and come into my heart. Help me to follow you all the days of my life. Amen.”
Don’t stop with this prayer. Find someone who loves Jesus and tell them that you have asked Jesus into your heart. Ask how you can learn more about Jesus and what He wants you to do with your life.